WRMK :: Patriotic Cards w/ Foil Quill


Hey there!  We're officially on summer break, and I'm kicking it off with a fun post to celebrate the birthday of the USA.  To help with the festivities this time of year, I turned to my Foil Quill from We R Memory Keepers and Silhouette Cameo to create some patriotic cards.



First I had to pick the right images, and I thought that stars and a map of America seemed fitting for this occasion.  I found the map in the Amy Tangerine USB Art; the stars are from Paige Evans.  Next, I thought of some quotes I could pair with the images, like 'let freedom ring' and 'land of the free, home of the brave.'  I used fonts that I had on my computer already (Lisbon - 'Land of the free...' / Kind Heart Duo - 'let freedom ring').  If you're lacking for fonts, most of the American Crafts USB artwork drives have some great typography included on them, and are worth checking out.



The color scheme was a no-brainer--red, white, and blue, of course, with some shiny silver added to the mix.  The silver foil looks great on dark cardstocks like the navy blue and red that I chose.  I found that the red foil showed up really well on the navy blue, as well.


I set up the file in my Silhouette software on my laptop, and printed it out using the Standard Foil Quill tip (aqua color).


I kept the cards clean and simple so that the metallic shine of the foil would take center stage, but I did add a few of my favorite accessories to dress them up a bit.  I matted each foiled panel on baby blue card bases with a layer of white lace sandwiched in between.


For the 'let freedom ring' cards, I left space on the lefthand side to clip on some trims.  Seam binding, white sequin trim, and rose gold metallic ribbon are attached with a mini clothespin.  On the map card, I left space on the top left for a white fabric bow.


The last details were some sequins for a little bit of extra shine. You can make so many things with the foil quill--have you tried it out yet?  It works on most electric cutting machines (even my old Cameo!) and you might just impress your friends with your foiling ability!  Happy summer to you--stay cool!

Supplies:
Foil Quill
Amy Tangerine Foil Quill USB Art
Paige Evans Foil Quill USB Art
Silver Swan 4x6 Foil Pack
Flamingo 4x6 Foil Pack

Comments