WRMK :: Holiday Pocket Gift Card Holders


Hey there!  I'm here for my second blog post of the day, checking my holiday gift list to make sure everyone's covered.  If you're in a pinch and need a quick gift, a gift card is always a good call, and what better way to make them seem very un-last-minute than with some adorable tag pockets to put them in?  Grab your favorite patterned paper, The Works All-In-One tool from We R Memory Keepers, and let's get started!


These pockets are super simple and you can make them with any paper trimmer you have, but I chose The Works because not only can you cut the paper with it, you can also score, round corners, and punch holes.  Also, if you really want to, you can make tassel adornments with it, too.  I decorated today's gift card holders with tassels, but I used the Tassel Loom and I'll explain why in a little bit.


I used the DCWV Classic Christmas paper stack to create my pockets.  I liked its traditional color palette and pretty elements like poinsettias, Christmas trees, and holiday greenery.  It's double-sided, too, which made it perfect for these little pockets.


With your trimmer, cut down paper to 3" W x 6.5" H.  You'll be folding the paper up from the bottom so it's best not to choose designs for the backside that will turn out upside down when folded.  Score the paper at 2.25" from the bottom for the fold.  I rounded the corners of each tag with The Works tool and punched a hole at the top of the tag.


Fold the bottom of the tag up and secure it on the sides.  You can use adhesive or stitching, whichever you prefer and have time to complete.  Adhesive is quick; I chose to stitch for the added homemade touch.  If you don't have a sewing machine and you want to stitch the sides together, you can use a paper piercing tool to poke holes which makes hand-stitching a lot easier to do.  I used a piercer and a hole guide I've had for ages to make straight, even pokes; the WRMK Book Binding guide is another useful tool to get even holes.  Once your piercing is complete, you're ready to stitch.  A small needle and basic thread will suit this project just fine.  I alternated between deep green, bright red, pale pink, white, and gold metallic threads, depending on the pocket colors.



I added some red pom-pom trim across the top of each pocket, then inserted the gift card.  Classic Christmas has a couple pages of tags that I trimmed down to layer with my pockets.  I wanted to make these extra-special by adding a tassel to each one.  As I mentioned before, you can use The Works tool to create tassels and I love making yarn tassels with it.  I opted for thread tassels, though, and I can make those so easily with the Tassel Loom.  If I only made one or two, I'd probably have used The Works, but I made 5 so I chose the quicker method.  Rest assured, either tool gets the job done!


Finally, it was time to combine the pockets with their decorations.  The tag and tassel are tied on with gold or red baker's twine, and I'm all set with 5 last-minute gifts.  They don't need to be last-minute, either--make them for anyone on your list and tie them onto a gift bag, package, stocking, or hang them on the Christmas tree--they're festive and fun!



It's definitely not too early to start your gift wrapping--these little pockets are guaranteed to put you in a holly jolly mood and make your recipient feel special, whether it's your best friend, nephew, dentist, mail carrier, dog walker, or the host of a last-minute party!



Supplies:
WRMK:
The Works All-In-One Tool
Tassel Loom
Sticky Piercer

Other:
DCWV Classic Christmas paper stack

Comments

  1. I like these! I have several gift cards to give and these will work fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca! Your beautiful tags are a gift in itself. I appreciate the links but I also remember your post (awhile back) on how to make tassels. From the first time I saw your gorgeous embellishments, I’ve wanted to set aside some time to learn. They add so much to a tag or gift. Thank you very much for sharing your pocket tags! Wonderful projects! And Happy Thanksgiving 🦃🍁😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

i do appreciate your comment!
~Rebecca