Papertrey Ink :: Throwback Thursday :: Sending You Comfort

Hello there!  It's Throwback Thursday over at Papertrey Ink, and I'm revisiting Sending You Comfort today, as I unfortunately needed to make a thoughtful card for a grieving friend.  Sympathy cards are always the most difficult for me to make, yet they are some of the most important and necessary cards that we send.  Even though it's way more fun to make cards for happy occasions, I was so glad to have this stamp set; it makes the cardmaking process during a painful time a little less difficult.


I always try not to overdue it on a sympathy card, generally taking the 'less is more' approach.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't carefully plan your design or decide against techniques such as heat embossing, ink blending, or watercoloring.  In fact, I very much wanted to create a serene blue color-washed background.  By adding a few drops of Dark Indigo re-inker to a little bit of water, I had the makings for a variegated background.  I painted a whole sheet of watercolor paper, aiming for darker and lighter shades of blue throughout.


After stamping some lined leafy branches in Watermark ink on the darker blue area, I embossed them with gold powder.  On a section that had a distinct color difference, I die cut a circle with one of the Nesting Basics: Circles dies.  The design of my card is off-center; I embossed a pierced circle around where I wanted the die cut circles to go, then stamped and embossed a few smaller leaves.


I could have gone with any of the sentiments in Sending You Comfort, but because I wanted the die cut stems to overlap and frame the watercolored circle, I chose 'our hearts go out to you' for its size and structure.  There are a couple of dotted clusters that I embossed, too, to fill out the space in the circle.


Finally, I adhered the embossed stems and added a simple cream and gold ribbon bow.  My card is clean and simple, yet I was sure to take a little extra time and care with the details, taking into account the friend for which I was making it.  It's the kind of card I hope I never have to make, due to the circumstances behind it, but stamps like Sending You Comfort have definitely made the task easier, and I'm glad I can give our friend and his family something gentle and meaningful.


Supplies:
Stamps: Sending You Comfort
Ink: Watermark
Paper: Dark Indigo, watercolor
Dies: Sending You Comfort, Nesting Basics: Circles, Nesting Basics: Pierced Circles
Other: Dark Indigo re-inker, gold embossing powder, paintbrush, ribbon

Comments